Passing & Recieving
Poor execution of basic skills is a real challenge that restricts player growth.
This exercise is aimed at focusing on the principle of “stick to stick” – fast hard accurate passing directly to a fellow teammates right foot.
It also, as a by product increases their ability to trap appropriately.
It is not my ideal “game” as it can become boring and is not “in context” so use it sparing and generally for a quick warmup.
It consists of 3 players passing to each other in various ways at various speeds:
Activity is to pass open stick to open stick
- Pushing only
- Split grip slap
- Reverse hitting
Progression on above
- Dummy/hidden passes
- Increase pace of ball
- Increase speed of pass – react quicker not pass quicker
- Add an extra ball (or several) into the mix
- Pass to different areas around the recipient
- Lifted slightly
- Different distances between players
- Add piggy in the middle and players cannot move
- You have 5 balls how long to lose them
- How many can you do in x seconds…..now beat that!
- Relay race run from station to station (if you do this you need 1 more player than the # of cones)