Useful questions for sports competitors to ask themselves:
- What did my best game look and feel like?
- What does my dream game look and feel like?
- What do others see when I play with confidence?
- What behaviours do I engage in that help me build confidence?
- Who helps me to feel confident and what do they tend to say?
Game concentration and attention:
- What internal noise tend to distract me?
- What external distractions impact my game?
- What can I be curious about in my competitive environment that can help me have an external focus of attention?
- What can I control, or get close to controlling, when I play?
- Who can help me stay focused?
- What does my high performance mental state look and feel like?
- Do I tend to frustrated or angry (high arousal) or do I tend to get down or despondent (low arousal)?
- What have I done in the past to manage my emotions?
- Does anger actually help me compete better?
- Who can help me manage my emotions?
- What game day goals help me? What hinder me?
- Should I focus on winning or does this just get in the way?
- What KPI’s help me to focus my mind on the tasks at hand?
- Do I have mental objectives? If so, what are they? If. It, what could they be?
- Should I be ready to change objectives during a game?
Training and practice:
- What two or three specific areas of my game do I want to (or do I need to) improve right now?
- How can I set up a feedback system with a coach to help me develop these areas?
- If an expert was to critique my training and practice mindset what might they say?
- I’m practicing, but am I learning and subsequently improving?
- What one thing can I do to improve my game intelligence or my ability to execute strategically or tactically?
Teaming or leading:
- What behaviours does a great (leader) engage in?
- What positive behaviours do I exhibit that helps my teammates from a team (leader) perspective on the field?
- What positive behaviours do I exhibit that helps my teammates from a team (leader) perspective off the field?
- What one area of teamship (leadership) can I improve upon?