Defending/Clearing the press
Objective – Passing through the lines
- Ideally 4v4,5v5 – this is a version of king ball
- Game objective is to pass the ball through the defense/press to your high player/s
- All players must remain in their zones
- When ball is successfully passed through defense then passer goes to end zone
- Aim of game is to be the first team to have all your players in the end zone behind opposition
- No hitting allowed
NOTE – This game takes time for players to understand the different types of press’
Defenders need to:
- Communicate to cover the passing lanes.
- Vary position to close down passing angles, or move back to allow more time to react to pass.
- Players should be balanced: low center of gravity and weight evenly distributed between left and right feet
- Hold stick in body center, with a flexible grip that allowing him to change grip to stop ball either side
- React sharply to a lateral pass and reposition immediately
- Watch the hitter’s stick movement and get “set”
- Look for cues of where the ball is going
- React quickly on interception so they can pass the ball immediately, before the other team is setup
- When ball leaves pitch then coach throws new one
- Game restarts on goal or back line loss
- If defenders intercept, they counter-attack quickly and look to score by stopping on the opposite line
- 30 secs to score
- Change loadings of defenders
- Play in a smaller space.
- Start with pass coming out of defensive end, so counter-attack can go to goal.