Creating space to receive
Objective – How to create space – relieving the immediate pressure on receipt of the ball
- Piggy in the middle with both attacker and defender
- Ball played in from various locations to attacker
- Attacker has to receive and pass the ball back (wall pass)
- Split your squad into teams of three, one server, one attacker and one defender.
- If the defender wins the ball then he becomes the attacker (?)
- Move away at an angle so the defender follows.
- Cut back quickly into the space created, leaving the defender trailing.
- Accelerate into space.
- Move too soon or too late to receive the pass and the space might be closed down.
- Communication – verbal, eye contact, movement.
- Variation – attack the space behind the defender.
- Using the same area, put one server at each corner outside the playing area, with a ball each, the forward must break free of the defender, receive a ball from any server and play it back without losing possession.
- 2 or 3 touches before passing back
- Make it 2v2