U11 training 11-09-2020
Netball – Rollerball (10-15 mins) – 4v4 in 15×15 area.
Players throw the ball to each other when passing and cannot move when in possession. To score a point players must pass to a team mate in their attacking end zone.
Introduce hockey ball and roll along the groundBasic games (30 mins)
Week 1- Carrying the ball
Basic dribbling and holding the stick
Key teaching points:
- Ball kept at 2 o’clock
- Stick and ball always in contact
- Toilet seat carry position
- Head up when carrying the ball
- Extend arms when accelerating with ball
- 25 to Baseline ball carry (10 mins)
- Players start on 25 and sprint with ball until half way/base line. If coach says ‘stop’, players have to stop until the command of ‘go’ is given. Winner is the person to make it to the half way/base line with the ball under control.
- Progression: Use no commands and introduce cones. Green- go and Red- stop. Promotes players carrying the ball with their head up.
- 2. Clumps(10mins)
- 6 players operate around the edge of a circle and carry the ball around the circle anti-clockwise. On the command of change, players have to change the direction in which they are travelling. Coach will call out a number and players have to react and form a group of that number. Introduce a fun forfeit for those who don’t find a group.
- Progression: Introduce a cone system; green means go, red means stop and hold finger for numbers
- 3. Queen of the Squares. (10-15 mins)
- 4x10x10m squares in a square (20*20). Players carry the ball around all the squares. Cones used to give players instruction. Green- sprint, Orange- jogging, Red- stop.
- Progression 1: Introduce a defender. Defender attempts to eliminate a ball from the square. When the defender eliminates a ball they are now a ball carrier and the ball carrier is a defender.
- Progression 2: ‘Free for all’. Everyone has a ball and is in just 1 of the small squares. Players attempt to eliminate their opponents. If eliminated, move to next square and repeat as more people join the second square
- Numbers games (15-30 mins)
- Teams of 5. Players are numbered 1-5. Coach calls out a number and that player(s) run from their box and play against their fellow numbers from the other team. Goals scored using a regular format.
- Bonus score for carrying the ball into space/to create space
1/2 pitch game